Summer is finally here (at least in the Northern Hemisphere). So far for me, it’s been a HOT one. Here’s one way to help keep your ponies cool: pony popsicles. Read on for how to make them:
By SmartPaker Keli Harden
Summer is here and after a long winter, the heat is a welcome visitor! But what do you do when summer rages on and you just can’t seem to beat the heat? With no lakes or ponds nearby for swimming, I set out to come up with a fun way to help my mare cool down and stay hydrated. So, I set out to create my very own “Pony Popsicle”. Below you’ll find step by step directions so that you can make your very own!
Step 1: Gather your supplies
• Carrots and apples
• Baling twine or thick string
• 2 drinking straws, popsicle sticks, or pencils
• Large solo cup
• Cutting board
Step 2: It’s time to chop!
• Take 1-2 large carrots and a ½ an apple and chop into small to medium size pieces, set aside
• Save a piece of carrot, about an inch in length, and tie your rope or bailing twine around it. This will act as the weight that will make sure the string stays at the bottom of the cup and doesn’t float up when you add the water.
Step 3: Add the fruit
• Holding the string in the middle of the cup, add your carrots and apples. You can layer or mix it all up – be creative!
Step 4: Straw time
This next step is going to help your rope or twine stay in the middle during the freezing process. You can really use whatever you’ve got around the house for this – I happened to see some straws on the counter and they worked great!
• Take the straws and set them parallel to each other, tape one end together
• Sandwich your twine between the two straws and then tape the other end together
• Tape the straws to your solo cups so they’re held steady and not tempted to move around
Step 5: Add water
• Slowly add water to your solo cup leaving about ½ inch empty at the top
Step 6: Freeze!
• Now comes the easy part (or the hard part, depending on your perspective) – we wait. Place your cup in the freezer and freeze overnight.
Step 7: Allow pony to devour popsicle
• The hard work is done and now it’s time to let pony enjoy! Simply twist and wiggle the cup a bit and the popsicle should pop right out and be ready to go.
Happy summer, Horse Nation. Stay cool and go riding!
Autor DeAnn Sloan